History is who we are and why we are the way we are - David C. McCullough

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Start of Something Good

Welcome to my new old blog!

As a recent (December 2011) graduate of the University of Victoria Education program, I took a technology course. In that course we had to create a blog. I made this blog. I posted a few times a la the course requirements, then I deleted them all after the course was done, thinking I might use this as a class blog. I decided not to. Instead I created a class wiki.

My blog sat abandoned.

I got hired as a TOC (teacher on call) for SD#78: Fraser Cascade, and blogging didn't cross my mind again. Until today. Today we had a SD78 "Teach Meet" and I attended four fantastic sessions. First, I learned about some great resources for writing IEPs, then I spend the rest of the day delving into Social Media. Blogging, Twitter, Facebook, all great presentations.

I came home, I logged into Twitter (my previously inactive, joined for that same Tech-Ed class that made me write the blog account) and got to tweeting. After a very helpful mention from a Twitter superstar in the education world, I suddenly had 50+ followers! Woah.

All this was great, but a comment made in passing by my mentor teacher stuck with me.

"You should create a TOC blog."

A TOC blog. A blog about my experience TOCing. A blog about my educational journey. A blog about my passions as an educator. An interesting idea. And after all, there is no time like the present. So here it goes.

1 comment: