History is who we are and why we are the way we are - David C. McCullough

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ms. Who?

The way I see it, if we are going to be friends, we should probably get to know each other a bit better.

I grew up in Hope, BC, Canada in a fabulous, tight knit family. I had some great friends, lots of enthusiastic club leaders and sports coaches, and a whole lot of AMAZING teachers.

My desire to be a teacher goes way back. As my dad always says, I've wanted to teach grade two since I was in grade two. As I grew up, so did my taste for teaching and I ended up doing my education degree in high school English and Social Studies... Although getting to be a TOC (teacher on call) at the elementary level has definitely been a highlight since I started with SD#78 in January and I would love to do more work in elementary education.

Anyway. I grew up in Hope, then I did my Bachelor of Arts through Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, BC. It was there that I discovered a passion for history. I went on to become the secretary, and then the president of the TRU History Club. I was involved in organizing the TRU Northwestern Undergraduate Conference in Philosophy, History, and Politics. I presented my research three times at the PHP Conference, then in my fourth year of university I presented my research at the Qualicum Graduate History Conference. It was there that I submitted my work to be eligible for publication and much to my surprise my research was chosen! Feel free to check it out!

Back at TRU, I established and ran the first ever TRU International Women's Day Conference. I was involved in the pilot year (and then the following three years) of the TRU Student Leadership Program, I sat on the TRU Finance Board and the Philosophy, History, Politics Hiring Committee, and I worked as a Transition Mentor for first year students. And I'm sure there were a few other things I am forgetting. If you can't tell,  I am the classic overachiever.

After graduating with the immense honour of being selected as the Valedictorian for the Faculty of Arts and Student Development, I went on to the University of Victoria to complete my Bachelor of Education. I did my first practicum at Clarence Fulton Secondary School in Vernon BC where I taught English 8 and Social Studies 11 in a Copernican timetable. The 2.5 hour classes and the FAST pace the material had to be delivered was definitely challenging for a first-time teacher!

My final practicum was completed at Hope Secondary School under the supervision of the best possible mentor teachers I could imagine. I was so fortunate to have teachers, administrators, and students who were so eager and willing to help me succeed!

At the end of my practicum and the end of my Bachelor of Education, I was hired by SD#78 and life has come full circle for me. I'm back in a place I love, doing what I have wanted to do since the ripe old age of seven, and I couldn't be happier. I am sure the upcoming year will hold moments of pure joy and pure frustration (sometimes simultaneously), but I look forward to each and every step of this adventure.

Now tell me a bit about yourself and let's start making some connections!

No comments:

Post a Comment