History is who we are and why we are the way we are - David C. McCullough

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Extended TOCing

Since I last blogged, I have had coffee a couple of times with some fabulous TOCs in my district. Last week we were talking about how the jobs seem settled, and the only way we would be getting more work/temporary contracts would be if unfortunate circumstances befell someone.

About two days after that I got called into the Vice-Principal's Office (yes, I was a bit nervous) and found out that (happily for me) I was not in trouble for sending a kid to the office. Instead, the VP asked if I would be available to come in for a week and a bit for a teacher who had to leave the country for family reasons.

My first extended TOC job. The VP asked, "how is your French?" I said "not fantastic." Then he booked me to teach French 7, 8, 9, 11, and Planning 10 for the next 7 days.

I've taught French a few times at HSS, but I'm definitely NOT a French teacher. I did it to grade 12, but admittedly, I am rusty. But two days into my TOC job I'm realizing that my high school French teacher was amazing and my French is still better than my students'. Yay!

So far having an extended TOC job is really nice. I like knowing where I am working each day, and I get to do a bit of planning which helps me build my skills.

The first two days have been smooth, here's hoping the next 5 are the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment